Ethical & Sustainable Mountaineering
Mountain Synergies believes that Ethical and Sustainable Mountaineering is the only alternative way to preserve the spirit and values of a wonderful sport for the present and future generations, as well as the environment, economies and societies of the areas visited.
ESM combines two aspects: the moral principles and spirit of the alpinist and/or the expedition AND the environmental, economic and social regeneration principles.
© Photo credit: Daniel Hug
1. the individual responsibility of each climber, knowing the risks and not endangering the others;
2. the team spirit and companionship of the group, supporting each other;
3. the community belonging, respecting any other mountaineer;
4. the respect and openness to the foreign country visited, to its people and cultures, as well to its natural environment;
5. the wisdom in case of emergencies, being well prepared in advance and accepting to sacrifice an objective to assist others in distress;
6. the modesty, valuing the quality of the experience and enjoying the performance over success, fame and competition;
7. the accountability and high standard (thoroughness) of practice of guides, leaders and expedition organisers and solo climbers;
8. the honesty in reporting any ascension, especially the first ones;
9. the professionality of communications and relations with the sponsors and community;
10. the restraint in using supplemental oxygen and technological gear, considering them first as medical assistance and security means;
11. Avoid plastic as much as possible;
12. Buy less and Reuse/Recycle;
13. Consume local & Consume sparingly (cf. water, electricity);
14. Dispose your waste appropriately & bring it back whenever possible;
15. Leave No Trace & Leave the place clean (pick up the trash of others);
16. Partner with local businesses;
17. Prefer ends of/low seasons & less popular places;
18. Travel responsibly, privilege low carbon mobility.